Sonam Kapoor Plagued with the Reaction to Neerja


The rising star of the Bollywood industry, Sonam Kapoor has recently appeared in blockbuster Indian movies including Prem Ratan Dhan Payo and Neerja. After the positive response of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, Sonam Kapoor is set to attain more positive responses for Ram Madhvani’s Neerja which is based on the real story. The plot of the film is so impressive and attractive to amuse the audience.


The flick Neerja has sown seeds and burnt candles all across the world in the memory of the late 23 years old girl who has saved 359 lives.  Sonam has played the central character of that girl in the film and overwhelmed with the positive response in India and all across the globe. She utters, “I am overwhelmed with the reactions to 'Neerja'. People are reacting to a true story of courage that has been brought alive through a film that has its heart in the right place. It is not as if I have not seen good reviews before, but the 'Neerja' experience is unprecedented. Believe me, I did just what I truly believed in, and as a director, Ram, gave me the leeway to do that. I am a director's actor. Whenever I've got good reviews, it's because the directors (whether it is Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Aanand L Rai or Ram) have allowed me to soar. Cinema is a director's medium. As far as I'm concerned, it is not as if I changed what I did earlier. I have put in as much, but at the end of the day, if the director cannot translate it for you, it doesn't work.”

She added, “I was 23 when I did ‘Aisha’. And I knew from then that I would have to keep evolving with my choice of films and roles. Otherwise, I would become extinct. However, me evolving as an actor has nothing to do with female-centric films. But even if I do concede that I have been choosing films with strong female characters, it is a reflection of who I am as a person. I am a believer in feminism. Boman Irani had come on the set of 'Neerja' and something he said has stayed with me. He told me, 'Sonam, there are no small roles, only small actors.' I realised that you need to make yourself relevant in everything that you do. I have to constantly prove my relevance and I am fine with it. This only pushes me to better myself and work harder. Filmmaking is a collaborative process and I'm grateful to my director, cinematographer, sound designer and everyone who work tirelessly behind the scenes to make me look good. If it wasn't for them, I would just be mediocre, irrespective of the characters I played like Neerja, Mili (Khoobsurat), Aisha or Zoya (Raanjhanaa). I'm a third generation Kapoor but I never take myself seriously and think that I am 'so and so'. I have the humility to understand that it is not just about me, filmmaking is far more than one actor or star.”

She further added, “There are pros and cons to everything. sWhen you are a star kid, there is a certain recognition and protection that comes with the first couple of movies. But after that, you are on your own. You need to keep proving yourself over and over again. Like it is said, not much grows under the banyan tree. I was sitting with Dhanush while shooting 'Raanjhanaa' and the two of us talked about this. He turned around and told me that a shadow can grow, if you shine bright enough. Six months later, people may forget me as Neerja. I have to constantly keep reinventing myself and that is exactly what I intend to do.”

Watch more Indian Punjabi songs and Atif Aslam Songs on indiansongs.pk
Share on Google Plus

About Universal Music

This is Mawra Ali, a content writer and the student of International School of Screening Acting. I write and illustrate the major topics related to the Bollywood industry. I am not a perfect writer at all but trying to be… I hope all these articles will be fine and useful for you.
    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment